Salesforce Data Utilities
Data Migration Tools:
- Via Application
- Via AppExchange API
both uses AppExchange Web Service API.
Import Wizard – is an easy to use multi-step wizard for importing new Accounts, Contacts, Leads, Custom Objects or Solutions. A CSV file is required using Import Wizard where values are separated by commas. One unique unit of related information is a row of data in a table or spreadsheet.
External ID – is a flag on any custom field of type: Text, Number or Email. Why is External ID important:
- Increase report and API SOQL performance. Allowing customers to use the record ID from any external system like the salesforce ID in Import and the new API.
- Imports support external ID field that can be used to load and/or synchronize data sourced in external systems. This can be used to track migration data and run validation tests before going live.
External ID are CASE SENSITIVE and contains 3 ID fields per object and is used for CUSTOM fields only.
Import Wizard imports only data, objects and fields must be created first. Only available as System Administrator. Loading of multiple record types requires file chunking. Will not prevent invalid values into a picklist field.
Force.com Data Loader – is an custom build application for bulk import or exporting of data. It is used to: insert, update, delete or extract or upsert Salesforce records. Can move data in or out any Salesforce.com object.
Force.com Permission – “Modify All Data” permission is needed to access the page to download Fore.com Data Loader.
Force.com Data Loader Features: support large file up to millions of rows, drag and drop field mapping, support all objects include custom objects, detailed success and error log files in CSV format, CSV file viewer.
When to use Force.com Data Loader:
- 50 000 or more records
- load to object not supported by web-based importing
- schedule regular data loads
- save multiple mapping files for later use
- export data for backup purpose
Use web-based import when:
- < 50 000 records
- object supported by web-based import wizard
- Prevent duplicates by uploading records according to account name and site, contact email address, or lead email address.
Recycle Bin – holds deleted data for 30 days. Data can be recovered during this time period and is not counting against storage limit.
File Storage = Attachements, Documents, Salesforce Content Objects
Data Storage = All other records