Workflow – gives the ability to automatically:
- Create and send email alerts
- Create and assign tasks
- Update field values to specific values or based on formulas
- Create and send outbound API messages
- Create and execute time-dependent actions
Workflow consist of:
- Workflow Rule – trigger criteria evaluated when record is created, when created/updated OR when created/updated and did not previously meet trigger criteria.
- Workflow Task – Task assigned to designated users to follow-up and respond to Business Conditions in Workflow Rules. Assigned to user, role, record creator, record owner, sales team role or account team. Workflow tasks can be reported on and re-used within the same object. Tasks can be immediate or time dependent.
- Workflow Email Alert – emails generated by a workflow rule whenever specific Business Actions trigger the rule. Not tracked in activity history. Can be reused within same object. Alerts can be immediate or time-dependent.
- Workflow field updates – allow to automatically change the value of a field to a value you specify. Depending on the type of field you can: apply specific value, make value blank, calculate a value based on a formula you create.
- Workflow outbound message – send secure config API message to designated listener
Time dependent workflow – executes time-sensitive action before or after any date on the record. Performs a series of actions at various points in time and then uses the workflow queue to manage all pending actions.
Time Triggers – are time value relevant to the record and are used to initiate a time-dependent action. The following are time-dependent actions:
- Any of the 5 actions are triggered with associated time-triggers.
- queued whenever a rule is triggered
- can be reused in additional workflow rules as long as the object is the same
- removed from the workflow queue if the corresponding record no longer meets the rule trigger criteria.
- are dynamically updated in workflow queue if corresponding record fields is updated.
Time based workflow queue – gives the ability to monitor time-based workflow by viewing pending workflows in the queue.
Updating of parent record from child record – update a field on a parent by creating a field update action for a workflow rule created on a child record.